Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Bourbon Street Chicken & a few kitchen pics



Just a quick post today ~ I'm going to try this recipe this week.  :0)  I'll post pics when I'm done.

Bourbon Street Chicken
 

1 Tbl. Olive oil; (1-2)
1 garlic clove; crushed
1/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbls. ketchup
1 Tbls. Cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch; (if thick sauce desired)

  
Bourbon Street Chicken Preparation


Heat oil in a large skillet.
Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
Remove chicken.
Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well blended and dissolved.
Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes uncovered.
Serve over hot rice.

I got a few new "kitchen servants" this week.  It was so fun!  I was able to get a new toaster oven (with rotisserie), a new microwave oven, new toaster, new pannini press, and new egg poachers.  I'm absolutely in love with the rotisserie in the toaster oven.  So far we've done two chickens in it.  Tomorrow I've got a garlic seasoned pork roast I'm going to cook on it.




I did some baking this week and tried out a new Duncan Hines product.  They have icings that you add flavor packets to.  Since it's Fall, I got the pumpkin spice flavor packet.














I decided to make cupcakes with half the batter and a small cake with the other half. 
 


I put pumpkin shaped marshmallows on the cupcakes and Fall sprinkles on the cake.




It turned out really cute and festive.  Although, I do have to say that I think we prefer more "normal" flavored icings.  This one - pumpkin spice - reminded me of the flavor of a spice cake.  It was interesting to use, but I do think that from now on we will stick with chocolate, vanilla, or cream cheese frostings.  :0)









No comments: