Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A few pics and a recipe

This is my son.  He is 14 and most definitely one of my pride and joys.  Every Tuesday morning, I drive him out to an Equestrian Training Center about a half hour from where we live and he has horseback riding lessons.  I love watching him ride and his knowledge of horses and how to care for them grow. 

Today he rode Jag.  :0)  They made quite a pair.  We both really look forward to our Tuesdays at the horse farm.
 
I have a recipe to share with you.  It's my favorite chocolate pie and I made it to go with Sunday dinner this past weekend.
 This is what it looked like before I topped it with Cool Whip.  :0)  (Notice my new Fall tablecloth.  I love it!  I ordered it from the Vermont Country Store.)

Rich Chocolate Pie
2 1/2 C. milk, divided
1 C. sugar
3 Tbls. all purpose flour
5 Tbls. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
3 egg yolks
2 1/2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
2 Tbls. butter
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Heat 1 1/2 C. milk and the sugar.  In another bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and salt.  Add egg yolks and remaining milk, mix well.  Temper this by adding 1/3 of the hot milk mixture.  Return all to the saucepan and bring to a boil.  Boil for one minute.  Remove from the heat.  Add chocolate and stir until melted.  Finish with butter and vanilla.  Pour into a baked pie crust and refrigerate until set.  

I let mine cool a bit before putting it in the fridge.  I also set some saran wrap right down on top of the filling while it's in the fridge.

 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
The pie looks yummy. Thanks for visiting me. Yes I cover the tart till supper time. It kept well.
I always prepare supper early in the day. So much easier,
XXOO
Elizabeth