Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A very wet morning

What a morning this has been! The past couple of days we have been getting some much needed rain. It rained hard all night long. When I get out of bed my very first set of chores for the day is to go outside to feed and care for our chickens and rabbits. Since it was raining and thus muddy, I knew I would have more work to do. I dug my rain boots out of the closet and donned a poncho. Quite the fashion statement with my pajama capris, but I have learned that the chicken run is no place to try and impress. Especially when it's got muddy puddles throughout.

So I let all my girls out and they started hopping around undeterred by rain and mud. I keep large water and food feeders outside in my run and smaller ones in the coop. Our coop is such that the large ones won't fit through the door so that is why they are outside. But there was so much rain the feeder was flooded. So I take it out of the run to empty, clean and refill it. Then I shoved it as far under the coop as I could get it. I think it will stay fairly dry. Then it was time to clean out the water container. Done with no problem.

But then I went around to check the inside of the coop via the nest boxes. The coop itself was fine and dry but the area where my nest boxes were leaked! Oh my. We've only had this coop a few months so I'm still learning the good and the bad about it. I came inside to get some gloves and cleaned out all the wet bedding. Put down some DE and clean bedding over that. Then to the shed to find a new tarp. I placed this over the next box area weighed down with a couple of bricks and I think it will keep the boxes my drier. I only hope the chickens have not been turned off of the nest boxes already. I'm going to have a very hard time collecting eggs that are not deposited in the nest boxes.

By the time I was completely done with the rabbits and the chickens I had been out in the rain a solid hour. I am now blissfully showered, the coffee is on, and I am planning on splitting my day between reading for the Bible in 90 days challenge, house tidying and cross stitching. Yes, that sounds like a very good plan.

No comments: