Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Southern Burnt Sugar Cake

I had planned to share a picture of one of the Burnt Sugar Cakes I made yesterday but I cannot find the little do-dad that uploads the pictures so I'll just go ahead and share the recipe. If I can get the pictures loaded later, I'll post a picture of the cake then.

Burnt Sugar Syrup
****************
1 C. sugar
1 C. boiling water

Burnt Sugar Cake
****************
3 C. all purpose flour
1 Tbls. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C. milk
1 C. butter, softened
1 3/4 C. sugar
4 eggs

Burnt Sugar Frosting
*******************
3 3/4 C. confectioner's sugar
1/2 C. Burnt Sugar Syrup
1/4 C. butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2-3 Tbls. evaporated milk

Make the syrup:
Heat the sugar in a cast iron skillet with high sides. (Or any other heavy pan with high sides. I use my cast iron chicken frying pan.) Heat over med-high stirring occasionally until the sugar melts into a caramel syrup. Carefully add the boiling water (it will sizzle and pop so be mindful of that.) Continue cooking until the water is fully integrated into the syrup. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

Make the cake:
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour your cake pan of choice. Yesterday I used a 13x9 pan and a bundt pan for my cakes. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt and stir to mix. In a small bowl, combine your milk and vanilla. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Pour in 1/2 C. Burnt Sugar Syrup and beat well. Alternate beating in flour mixture and milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat each just long enough to incorporate into the batter. Baking time will depend on your pans. For the pans I used it took about 30 minutes for each one but I starting checking them at 20 minutes. If you use round cake pans for a layer cake, 30 minutes might be too long. Just keep your eye on it. After it comes out place on a wire rack or on folded kitchen towels and allow to cool completely.

Make the frosting:
Combine confectioner's sugar, the remaining 1/2 C. of Burnt Sugar Syrup, butter and vanilla. Beat on med. speed for 2-3 minutes. Add 2 Tbls. of evaporated milk and continue beating. Add a little more sugar if it is thin and a little more evaporated milk if it is too thick. Spread over your cake and enjoy!

No comments: